On Second Thought…

I’ve been working on my bard costume for about a month now. It’s been a long process, since I’ve been crafting everything myself and have had to wait for some findings to mail or to actually be able to afford them. So, the entire costume isn’t being made all at once, but rather in stages as I go based on what I think will ultimately work together.

For the past three days, I’ve finally been able to dive into the making of my new square neck peasant blouse for this costume. I was waiting on a certain trim that I had ordered (which was a very beautiful, yet discontinued Celtic knot pattern), so I had made the vest and the capelet first.

At this point, I’ve pretty much finished the shirt, except for deciding on the length. However, the trim has been applied and most of the shirt has been sewed. And that’s where I came up against a problem. The shirt is beautiful. It looks more professional than a lot of things I’ve made, and the trim and fabric color are just so perfect together, then I honestly get proud little goosebumps just by looking at it. And then, I look at my leather bodice, which was the first thing I made.

And they don’t match.

Each piece is lovely by itself, but put together, it unfortunately looks very, well, thrown together. Melodie is supposed to be a little eclectic, but this just looks bad. Maybe if they were made in the same style, or at the same time, this wouldn’t have happened. But it is what it is, and I’m not going to ruin a perfectly good costume by over-accessorizing just because I made it.

That said, I think the bodice needs to go. Not only am I 99% sure it is not going to be worn with this outfit, but I’m also fairly certain that I’ll be putting it up for sale. Again, it really is lovely. But after seeing the shirt and capelet together, the bodice just isn’t the right feel for Melodie. Also, it was fitting a bit tightly (I think I must have gained weight since my original use of the same pattern last year). Luckily, I still haven’t finished the bodice, and the hardware that I had purchased to do so was never affixed. When/if I put it up for sale, at least whoever buys it will be able to finish it off themselves.

So, it’s disappointing. But it happens. I think the important lesson here is KNOWING when it’s time to take a step back and take a piece away from the costume, before it just looks like a cluster of parts that weren’t made for each other.

Oh well. So Melodie won’t have her “armor”. Big deal. She won’t have her bow and arrows* for this go around, either. Live and learn!

 

* Money and time has prevented this from happening this year. Maybe next season!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Paladin Project. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s