Steampunk on Deck!

Good evening and welcome to the overview of my next project! As we all know, I just finished Denya’s Buttercup gown–which came out fabulous (oh, Alnir would be so proud!). And now that that project’s all squared away, it’s time to plunge full speed ahead into my newest commission, which I plan/hope to finish before the end of October.

A few weeks ago, Avoree made a special request for a Steampunk-inspired arm guard, which she hopes to wear to the upcoming Steampunk ball which will take place in November. She sent me a concept picture and basically gave me free reign with the design of the arm, so I’m very excited to get started. I think that it’s going to be one of most complicated and intricate pieces of armor that I’ve made, for sure. However, I look forward to the challenge!

And  challenge it will be indeed. For it’s one thing to make armor for myself, when I can easily sit and make it and try it on as I go. For the first time, I’m going to attempt to make a piece of armor without a physical model. In other words, Avoree sent me her measurements, and it might be a long shot a to whether or not she will actually get to see the arm in person before she gets to wear it (unlike Denya who got to have at least one fitting for her gown).

But here’s where a blog comes in handy. Because just like I was able to continually post progress pictures and comments about the recent gown, I plan on keeping all of my readers (and most especially Avoree!) up to date with the latest happenings with the arm. So while I may have an idea of where I’d like the armor to be going even before I begin it, I’m sure that through pictures and feedback the arm will actually take a completely different form before its completion. But I think that that’s a good way to do business ^.^

Granted, we all know that I’m not a Steampunk aficionado (see, “Why Steampunk is NOT Cosplay”) so I might be coming into this project a bit blind. When I think of Steampunk, I automatically think of metal (particularly copper), corsetry, clock parts, random Victorian era trinkets, and a “futuristic outlook from a past era” (yes, that confuses me too). The original picture of the arm that Avoree gave me actually makes the armor piece look like it’s made of some sort of steel. However, this I associate more with knights than… um… “Steampunk”. So, though I probably will end up using my standard aluminum sheeting for parts of the arm (whether I go with the silver or gold colored version of this is still up for debate), I’m actually very inspired by the warm, rosy tints of copper, and I hope to be able to incorporate it into the arm, possibly as part of the gauntlet itself as well as accents on the upper arm and pauldron.

Speaking of the pauldron, this arm calls for a dish-like shoulder piece which–as we learned from my own armor–is virtually impossible to achieve with aluminum, unless you’re willing to bend it. Since I want this arm to look nice (and not boxy), I actually have a plan for the dish of the shoulder which involves a pretty silver ashtray that I found. But that’s a secret for another day 😉

One of the biggest challenges that this gauntlet/shoulder armor is going to pose for me is the actual size of the gauntlet glove itself. When I created my full gloves for the Saber armor set, I actually went through a very detailed process of outlining my hand and finding the precise size and fit of the finger plates. Since Avoree is not readily available here on Long Island (and since I’m not readily able to drive up to Maine), this should pose an interesting challenge to make sure that it will fit Avoree perfectly.

But I remain hopeful!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Paladin Project. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Steampunk on Deck!

  1. Pingback: 2010 in review | The Paladin Project

  2. Regarding the picture – I´ve done it for an italian Pen and Paper RPG and it´s basically imfluenced by the old Arcanum Computer game, where a victiorian surrounding and Fantasy are mixed. The armour itself is a mixture between german high-gothic arms of the late 15th century and Victorian/Art Nouveau decoration. So if you don´t know anything about gothic armouring (I´ve done armouring myself for some years) I´d try to change it quite a lot – otherwise it will be bulky and doesn´t work.

    Furthermore if you´re using my illustration it would be nice to put my name under it. I know you´re just using it as a model but you´re publishing it here and WordPress has quite a good SEO (that´s how I found it ;)) so I´d ask you to accept the copyrights – I don´t want any money or sue you but that´s the least you can do. It´s originally posted on conceptart.org and we´re a little bit pecky about copyrights 😉

    Regards

    Thorsten

    • paladinari says:

      Sorry about that. I wasn’t the first one who found this image, actually. It was given to me by my friend to use as a model for an armor project I did for her, but she had never told me where the picture had come from. I’ll delete it permanently from my blog. Many apologies!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s