So at the moment, I’m at home on Long Island trying to clean out my room before I move home next weekend for what might be a long haul. I’m doing this for a couple of reasons:
1) I like my “college” furniture better. It’s simpler, and it’s smaller. And hey, my bedroom here is already the size of a breadbox (it’s really meant to be more of an office than a bedroom) so I might as well downsize.
2) My bedroom is dust central! And this is because of the furniture I have in it. I have a huge captain’s bed with drawers underneath that takes up an entire wall (no joke). And then I have a huge desk, a huge shelving unit, and a toychest (which is staying, btw). So yeah, my room is packed, I can’t move the furniture to vacuum behind/under it, and my room is, thus, very very filled with dust!
3) I’m a packrat! I’ll be the first to admit this. It was a running joke in my family that my headboard (which is basically a large drawer unit with an opening in the top) was like a time capsule, and one could tell what year the stuff had been dropped in there just by taking a look at it. But really, I’ll save all sorts of stuff. And again, this is in my very, very tiny room.
So I thought to myself, it’s time to do something good for people, give my crap… I mean, “treasures” to charity, and make my room grow up a little. Also, since I’ve recently become very interested in armoring, sewing, crafting, etc., I realized that there would be NO room in my present situation to continue with said hobbies.
Anyway, I’ve already come across some interesting finds, not only for myself, but for Denya as well (who has been asking us to collect crafting stuff for her so that she could do her own work).
The following is a list of some of the interesting finds of the day and what they’ll be used for/where they’re going:
– Assorted manga, anime DVDs and VHS tapes, and anime shirts which *ahem* no longer fit (I think I’ll list these things up on my blog as an anime charity thing, where people will be able to ask for stuff and I’ll just send it to them so long as they pay shipping. at least it’ll be going to a good home)
– Assorted jewelry, including chandelier earrings, necklaces, chains, pendants, bracelets (to be given to Denya for crafting)
– Full-color prints of Byzantine art from the Metropolitan Museum of Art (for Denya)
– A collection of 50 mini, red, origami cranes (back from my days when I would sit in science class in HS and fold paper) (for Denya)
– Two rabbit pelts (to be saved for when I get my doll, it might make for some nice accent pieces)
– Black satin lining fabric (to be saved for sewing)
– An answering machine, unopened phone wire, and assorted chargers for things I can’t identify a use for (to be given to the Salvation Army so that someone can hopefully use them!)
– White wig complete with furry white ears (this belonged to my Inuyasha cosplay! Now the set is complete again, bwahaha!)
– White craft fur that I used to create a paper mache Tetsusaiga (for Denya)
– Two oversized (like, the size of baseballs oversized) bells (for Denya)
– Assorted calendars in excellent or unopened condition (for Denya)
– A Chococat plushie (ooh! I forgot I had this! save!)
– A marching snare drum body with no head (not sure if I should thrift store this. it really was a cool find, and I had always wanted to make a stool out of it, and now have no time. anyone want it? it’s silver)
– Pillows, pillows, and more pillows! (to the Salvation Army with you!)
– Plastic canvas trick-or-treat basket in the shape of a wedge of cheese (save! It was from my very first Halloween costume when I was dressed up as a mouse, and my grandma made it) (no, I have no idea what I’m going to do with this… ever…)
More to come!