So since it’s been a while since I’ve posted anything that I’ve actually been working on (picture-wise, at least), I decided to provide everyone with a teaser update of my circlet, which has actually been a lot more difficult to create than I had initially imagined. As I said in my last post, Ouch!, working on this thing really makes me miss working with razor sharp aluminum. I get the same feeling about working with fabric, too.
The nice thing about the aluminum, even though it could hurt and stab, was that its shape was, more or less, absolute. I didn’t need to worry about it bending, stretching, breaking, etc. unless I did something very stupid to it. The fabric, as you can imagine, is prone to stretching. And when I end up with a jagged edge after cutting from a pattern because it stretched as I cut, it was the bane of my existence. The copper wire is just difficult to work with: Period. The thicker stuff doesn’t want to bend and is constantly getting damaged by the pliers and hammer and such. And the thinner stuff is very prone to breakage. Which is just annoying.
In any case, I’ve been working on the circlet. After braiding together the 16 gauge wire (at the expense of my thumbs), I tightened the ends together and hammered it out into a hoop, which makes the core of my circlet. Then, I decided to thread the seed pearls in intermittently using the 26 gauge wire. I immediately found out how annoying this is to work with. First, the spool of it, once it unfurls, is useless as you can’t seem to ever be able to find the end again. Then, if you stress it too much by bending it, it likes to break. Every few pearls, I kept having to tie off the wire and start with a fresh piece. Which, as one can imagine, has been a bit irksome. At the moment, I’ve managed to string about ten pearls on in all, out of eighteen. And then that doesn’t count the front and back decorations with pearls and crystals. But anyway, this is what I have so far. I hope no one thinks it’s pathetic!