So I tried to create the pattern for my pauldrons last night. As it turns out, they’re a little more difficult than I would have expected, and my finished paper pattern would probably end up slipping off my shoulders as soon as I put the finished armor on.
I think what I have to remember is that my shoulders are going to be bare for this costume. It’s not that I’m going all “bikini armor” here, but I definitely know that Ari’s armor would probably be shunned for impracticality and that the original picture design I had for her was rather… um… “fantastical”.
In keeping with “reality”, I’m thinking of re-designing the pauldrons so that they seem more armor-like and, if my armor wasn’t made out of aluminum, they could actually be functional.
To do this, I was sketching last night and think I decided on making some sort of harness to which the pauldrons can be attached. The harness would be made out of a combination of metal and leather and would fit into my outfit very nicely. It’s only a small deviation from my original plan.
Well, I say “small”, and as it turns out the pauldrons aren’t ending up ANYTHING like what they were originally. Hopefully they’ll be better!
Finally beginning to put stuff up for sale on Etsy. Be sure to check it out!